Ryan Gosling has played many characters on the big screen. But when it comes to animal welfare, he isn’t playing at all. The actor has used his voice and powerful influence to speak up for animals on numerous occasions. So to show our appreciation, we’re rounding up six of our favorite Ryan Gosling–is-a-hero-to-animals moments. See which ones made our list!
That one time when Gosling …
1. … penned a letter to the president and CEO of the National Milk Producers Federation urging him to require farmers to phase out dehorning by breeding for polled, or naturally hornless, cattle.
2. … wrote a letter to the U.S. Department of Agriculture on PETA's behalf calling on the agency to revoke its approval of a foam-based extermination method that kills birds by submerging them in foam in order to suffocate them slowly.
3. … fired off a letter on behalf of PETA to KFC Canada (his home country) urging the company to stop its Canadian suppliers’ worst abuses of chickens, who are killed when they’re still just babies.
4. … sent a letter on PETA’s behalf to McDonald’s CEO Jim Skinner asking him to adopt a less cruel slaughter method.
5. … sported a shearling-look coat made of laminated painted cotton while portraying Officer K in Blade Runner 2049. Fans went nuts over the cruelty-free garment—so much so that Men's Health Magazine deemed the coat itself award-worthy.
6. … stepped out on multiple occasions wearing his late companion animal George’s dog tag around his neck. Gosling was a notoriously wonderful dog dad, treating George with the love and kindness that all animals deserve.